Thursday, July 25, 2019

Moby interviews Shepard Fairey (the Obey Giant guy for those who don't know)


As I've been doing my Dave Voelker drawing, selling a few, and shipping them out this week, I've been on a Shepard Fairey interview kick.  I've watched 4 or 5 interviews, and found this one that I'd never seen before. 

I saw my first "Andre' the Giant has a posse" sticker in about 1994 (95?) in Huntington Beach, I remember the exact spot.  When I first saw the "Obey Giant" stickers, it really fucked with my head, which was his whole point.  It made me wonder if he had sold out, if the CIA had kidnapped him or something to force him to work for them, or what the hell was going on.  I became a fan of his work.  I became a huge fan of street art while homeless in 2007-2008, though I'd been slapping stickers on my own as a BMX/skate company guy, since 1986 or so.  I also developed a wide range of "non-destructive" street art applications of my own during that year.

Anyhow, I was never a Moby fan, I've never seen him actually speak before this, and the music just wasn't my thing.  But this interview is great.  I dig Moby now.  They talk about Shephard's first punk song he remembers, which was in the skate video Skatevisions, which my one time boss, Don Hoffman produced.  Hearing that really stoked me out.  Agent Orange is the whole soundtrack, and I used to play that video when I worked at Unreel (Vision Skateboards' video company) just to listen to the band.  They talk about Shepard's ideas about art itself, art in public places, street art going mainstream, street artists in galleries, and Moby tells his story of how the Republicans stopped the Pope from appearing at a climate change rally in D.C., and a bunch more.

This is a great look into the minds of two really prolific and talented creative guys, and there's a lot of talk about punk rock, as well.  If any of that piques your interest, check this interview out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plywood Hood Brett Downs' age 53 compilation video

Brett Downs birthday is today.  Here's his compilation video from the last year of riding.  There were a few "WTF did he just do?&q...